Take Home Exercises
Five Minute Core Corner: Bridge Pose
Muscles groups used: abdominals, low back, hamstrings and glutes
- Lie flat on your back with knees bent, hands at your side and feet flat.
- As you inhale, tighten lower abdominals by pulling belly button to spine, and flattening lower back against mat.
- During your exhalation, press heels firmly into the ground, and slowly lift pelvis off the mat, lifting one vertebrae at a time. Lift only as high as you can without feeling any strain in your back.
- Pause for several seconds, inhaling and squeezing glutes.
- During your next exhalation, slowly lower back to the mat, one vertebrae at a time.
- Relax abdominals and then repeat exercise, 6-8 times.
Advanced progression options:
- Marching (not pictured): At the top of your bridge, lift one foot at a time six inches off the ground while keeping pelvis stable. Repeat 6-8 times, alternating feet, then roll back down to starting position.
- Leg hold: At the top of your bridge, straighten one leg, holding for 5-10 sesconds. Return leg to starting position, and extend opposite leg. Roll back down to starting position.
- Leg lowering: From the top of your bridge, extend one leg straight to ceiling, and then lower and lift 6-8 times while keeping pelvis stable. Return to starting position. Roll up into a bridge again, and then complete 6-8 leg lifts on opposite side.
Five Minute Core Corner: Bird Dog
Muscle groups used: lower back, shoulders, abdominals, glutes
- Start in quadruped position on hands and knees, neck and spine in neutral position.
- Tighten abdominals by pulling belly button in to spine.
- Extend one leg directly back, tightening glutes (do not arch your back, and keep hips level, with no rotation).
- While maintaining abdominal contraction, raise opposite arm.
- Hold position for 5-10 seconds, repeat on other side.
- Complete six times on each side.