- August 31, 2012
- If you're Dr. Tom Hackett, swimming the English Channel is the second most fun you can have in the dark.It really was a dark and stormy night when Hackett, orthopaedic surgeon with the Steadman Clinic, swam 34 miles across the English Channel in 62 degree water, starting at 3 a.m. in 6-foot seas that tossed him around like the flotsam he kept colliding with.Through the first four hours or so, he stopped every 10 or 15 minutes to vomit and wretch from the seasickness.“It was miserable. I loved it... MORE →
- August 27, 2012
Dr. Robert F. LaPrade, orthopedic knee surgeon with The Steadman Clinic in Vail, Colorado, recently contributed to U.S. News and World Report's educational medical feature on the use and trend concerning evidence-based medicine.
- August 6, 2012
- The Orthopaedic Education Foundation of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society recently awarded Dr. Thomas O. Clanton, orthopaedic surgeon and Director of Foot and Ankle Sports Medicine for the Steadman Clinic in Vail, CO, a research grant concerning Turf Toe Injuries. This research initiative, which was conducted at The Steadman Philippon Research Institute, provides a detailed evaluation of turf toe injuries using a method of analysis that utilizes stress radiographs.... MORE →
- August 3, 2012
Dr. LaPrade was presented with the first ever "Outstanding Fellowship Teaching Award", presented by the 2011-2012 Steadman Clinic fellows at their graduation dinner on July 28, 2012.
- August 2, 2012
- For some people, having surgery in a place other than a hospital might sound like a strange idea. But that's the intention behind Ambulatory Surgery Centers. Owned by the Vail Valley Medical Center and local surgeons, Vail Valley Surgery Center is an Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) which opened in Vail in 2002. VVMC recently built a second ASC facility at their Edward's campus, which opened on June 11th. Cutting costs and increasing efficiency An ASC is designed for outpatient surgeri... MORE →
- July 30, 2012
- We know a lot about the town of Vail's plans for a new municipal building. We're about to learn a lot more about plans for the structure that will be next door. The whole idea of redeveloping the municipal building property started when officials from the Vail Valley Medical Center and doctors from The Steadman Clinic and the Steadman Philippon Research Institute proposed a new office building on the western part of the land. Negotiations started, studies were done, and meetings public and ... MORE →
- July 30, 2012
- Vail Valley Medical Center will take over management of the Howard Head Sports Medicine clinics later this year. Proaxis Vail LLC, which had for several years managed the operations at Howard Head, will end its role Oct. 31. Vail Valley Medical Center has owned Howard Head Sports Medicine since it was founded by a donation from Head in 1986. The medical center owns the facilities and equipment, and handles billing services for Howard Head's patients in Eagle and Summit counties. Vail Valley... MORE →
- July 20, 2012
- Vail Valley Medical Center was recently named one of the "Best Hospitals in Colorado" by US News & World Report. VVMC was the only mountain hospital to earn this designation and scored high in many categories including patient safety and commitment to reducing accidents and medical mistakes. According to US News & World Report, of the 100 hospitals in the state of Colorado, only 17 were honored with the distinction of 'Best Hospitals in Colorado'. VVMC was also honored with the designat... MORE →
- July 17, 2012
In early 2012, Dr. Peter J. Millett, orthopedic shoulder surgeon with The Steadman Clinic in Vail, Colorado, had the privilege of surgically repairing a torn biceps tendon for Brian Shaw, the Strongest Man in the World.
- July 16, 2012
- Dr. Marc J. Philippon, orthopedic hip surgeon with The Steadman Clinic in Vail, Colorado, was recently highlighted in a Newswise health feature. The article sited research recently presented at the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine's Annual Meeting in Baltimore, Maryland this past week.... MORE →